Innovation requires openness to new ideas. If you’re part of the HIMSS community, you’ve likely bought in to the concept that technology can significantly improve healthcare if applied well. One way IT impacts healthcare (and the world) is through social media, which makes it easier for diverse voices to have their say. Patients, caregivers and consumers have especially benefitted from sharing their ideas on healthcare via social media.
In anticipation of this year’s annual conference, I’ve teamed up with a fellow HIMSS Social Media Ambassador to walk the talk of openness to both new technologies and new voices. Dr Chuck Webster (@wareFLO) and I challenge you to show us visually how we can best improve healthcare by empowering patients through information and technology.
We set up a micro-challenge — you have just six days to submit an entry in our contest. This is easy, people, like around half-an-hour kind of easy. Like waiting in the Uber-line easy. I know, Chuck is a bonafide engineer; his idea of “easy” might not be yours. But I’m sufficiently non-engineer-like to assure you that this really is easy.
We’re using BEAM, a connected, dynamic, wearable “button” you display on your clothing to share a picture or animated GIF that conveys how you think technology can radically improve healthcare by empowering patients.
March 5 at 10 p.m. PST
Because it’s fun! And you might learn something, push your own boundaries, and meet new people. Plus, if you win, you get your own “Beam” customizable wearable ($99 value) that you can wear at HIMSS18, displaying your winning idea – and Chuck and I will also promote your winning entry through our BEAM buttons at HIMSS18 and on social media.
How to Participate
Take a screenshot of your entry (or multiple screenshots if you create a slideshow with multiple images).
1. Download the Beam app on your phone via the Apple Store or Google Play.
2. Set up an account, including a screen name. It’s quick, easy, and free.
3. Create your entry. Follow instructions to upload a photo, draw a picture, or make a GIF.
4. Set your entry in the BEAM app to “BEAM” to share it… also follow Chuck (wareflo) and Lygeia (Lygeia) on the BEAM app.
Take a screenshot of your entry (or multiple screen shots if you create a slideshow with multiple images).
5. and post it on Twitter using the hashtags: #Beam4HealthContest + #HIMSS18 + #Engage4Health
6. All submissions must be received by March 5 by 10 p.m. PST.
7. We will announce the winner in person at HIMSS18 in Las Vegas, March 6 between 3 and 3:45 p.m. PST at the HIMSS Spot during the HIMSS Social Media Ambassador Meetup – and award your BEAM to you or a designee if you can’t make it.
8. We will inform the winner by Noon PST on March 6 so they can make it, or help set them up with a designee.
The winning entry will:
- Show how patient or consumer engagement, enabled by information and technology, can improve healthcare
- Be visually engaging
- Be original
- Be clear
What? Can I have an Example, Please?
You could illustrate how access to health records empowers patients, how providers and patients can work together better using telehealth, or something kind of out there, like how drones can deliver healthy snacks on the HIMSS exhibit floor. (Wait, can they?)
We’re looking forward to seeing you (and your ideas) at HIMSS18. While you’re there, please check out Chuck’s roving makerspace–including a 3D printer–and come to my panel on Connected Care In Real Life (IRL).